This information is as of January 27, 2021 and as we know it today. But the procedures and strategies will continue to evolve. Facebook, Apple, and various platforms are making changes in real time to how they interact with each other and this guide will be continually updated as information is available.
Once you have all the things set-up in your Business Manager Account, now you are ready to tap into some seriously BADASS tools.
(If you don’t have a Business Manager or Ad Account already, please refer to this blog post before moving forward).
In order to fully track the performance of your ads, we suggest setting up Attribution Tracking and the first step to doing this is to create what is referred to as a Line of Business in Business Manager.
Explain It Like I’m Five – What is a Line of Business:
Considering Business Manager is like a giant file folder that holds all the business tools that Facebook offers, a line of business is a mini folder within the giant folder.
This way you can group your ad accounts and other Facebook assets together. This is super convenient for measuring the impact of your campaigns and for giving an agency
Bottom Line: Creating a line of business is mandatory to work with Badass Marketing Moms.
How to Create a Line of Business + Access the Attribution Tool:
- Go to Facebook Attribution.
- Select Get Started.
- Select the option that best matches your business: Single business, Separate brands, Verticals or regions or Agency.
- Select Next, then follow the on-screen instructions to organize your ad accounts and data sources (for example, pixels, apps and offline event sets) into distinct lines of business.
- Select all Ad Accounts, and hit Next.
- Select all Data Sources (including your Pixel and Default Offline Event Set) and hit Next.
- Select any members of your team you’d like to have access to these assets, and hit Next.
- Select the Time Zone and Currency of your business, hit Next.
- Give your Line of Business a name like, “[My Business Assets]”
- Select Finish.
Now that you’ve created the line of business with all these amazing tools inside, now it’s time to share it with the Badass team.
How to Give Partner Access to Your Line of Business:
- Go to Business Settings.
- Go to the drop-down menu under Accounts
- Select “Line of Business”
- Select “Add Partners”
- Copy + Paste the Badass Marketing Moms Partner ID
- Toggle over “Manage Line of Business”
- Select Next
- Add Badass Marketing Moms to each asset within the Line of Business as a Manager
- Select “Save Changes”
As part of setting up your business with Facebook, you’ll need to verify your domain. This process adds authority and legitimacy to your Facebook ads by showing you own the domain that you are advertising.
iOS14 devices require that your domain be verified in order to show your ads to their users.
We suggest that you own the domain that you are using to advertising. (I.e. not using the domain that comes standard with LeadPages, Kajabi, Clickfunnels, etc.)
How to Verify Your Domain:
- In Business Manager, click on the Business Settings button in the upper right corner.
- In the Business Settings, select the Brand Safety tab, and select Domains from the left side navigation list.
- Click on the Add button, and enter your domain in the Add a Domain pop-up dialog.
- If you have more than one domain listed, select the domain for which you desire to confirm ownership.
- Choose the method you wish to use to verify your domain: DNS Verification, Meta Tags or the HTML File Upload.
- The easiest way to verify your domain is to install Meta Tags into the header of the main page of your domain.
- Copy the Meta Tag that Facebook provides and paste it into the Header of your website provider.
- Once you’ve copied it over and published your changes, select Verify.
- You will see a green dot next to your domain once it has been verified.
- Leave the code on your page as it may be checked periodically.
If you don’t know how to access the header of your website, here are a few helpful links by platform:
- How to Access the Header in Kajabi
- How to Access the Header in WordPress
- How to Access the Header in SquareSpace
- How to Access the Header in Shopify
Another way of tracking the performance of your ads without relying solely on pixels is to set-up a Conversion API between your CRM system and Facebook.
Your CRM or Customer Relationship Manager system collects data on your new leads, webinar registrations, and purchases. This data can be automatically sent over to Facebook in order to report on the performance of your ad campaigns.
Explain It Like I’m Five – Conversion API:
Before the widespread use of ad blockers and the roll-out of iOS14, Facebook and other advertising platforms used pixels (or cookies) in order to “see” the behavior of ad viewers.
By visiting certain website pages with pixels on them, Facebook could see and track the behavior that someone took before and after seeing an ad on their platform.
The Facebook algorithm relies on these pixels to pick audience tracking for advertising. The algorithm used these insights from pixels to decide who might be a good person to show a certain ad to based on their previous behaviors and behaviors of people like them.
Facebook also used these pixels in order to track performance of ads by showing you in Ads Manager the total number of people who interacted with your ad, became a lead, or purchased from you after seeing or clicking on your ad within a set time frame.
But now that ad blockers and iOS14 are blocking Facebook from receiving data from pixels on websites and their platform, Facebook’s algorithm is no longer “seeing” behaviors or results.
Although Conversion APIs can’t fix the tracking deficiency that happens with iOS14 opt-outs, it CAN track events that might be missed from ad blockers or incognito mode.
It provides Facebook with another source of truth rather than relying soely on pixel data.
There are two forms of Conversion API integrations available, either a Native Integration or an Integration assisted with Zapier.
How to Get Started with Native Conversion APIs:
Currently available for WordPress and Shopify.
- Go to the Data Sources tab within Facebook Events Manager.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down and select Choose a Partner.
- Select your partner and follow the setup instructions.
Using a Native Integration: WordPress
- Select “Connect Account”
- Select your Pixel, hit Continue.
- Select all checkboxes for Advanced Matching + Conversions API, hit Continue.
- Select “Create Access Token”, copy and paste the token into a Doc.
- Download the .zip file
- Go to your WordPress Settings
- Go to Plugins and select “Add New”
- Activate your plugin in WordPress
- Verify the Connection and hit Confirm
Using a Native Integration: Shopify
- Go to Shopify and log in to your Shopify account.
- Install the Facebook channel to connect Facebook to Shopify.
- Set up Instagram Shopping, Facebook Shop, or Facebook Marketing on Shopify. (Now, Shopify has permission to access your Facebook Page, Facebook ad account and Business Manager.)
- Add Facebook pixel in your Shopify admin.
- Enable Conversions API for more reliable data sharing. In your Data Sharing Settings, select “Maximum” to send data via Conversions API, in addition to the Facebook Pixel and Advanced Matching.
- Now go to Partner Integrations on Facebook
- Select ‘Shopify”
- Select “Connect Account’
- Select your Pixel, hit Continue.
- Select “I’ve completed the set-up on Shopify” and hit Continue
- Make sure that the pixel is glowing green and hit Continue
- And then hit Confirm.
How to Get Started with Conversion APIs with Zapier
Common Zapier Integration: LeadPages, InfusionSoft, ClickFunnels, Kajabi, SamCart, Squarespace
At this point, for most other platforms, there isn’t a native integration for Conversion APIs. So the second best course of action will be to set-up a Conversion API with your website or landing pages through Zapier.
Zapier helps platforms be able to “talk” to each other like a translator for data.
So here’s how to set-up your zaps in order to have Facebook and your website or landing pages communicate:
- Login into Zapier and select a plan based on how many estimated events you’ll need to communicate from your website to Facebook.
- Integrate Facebook with Zapier
- Integrate your website and/or landing pages with Zapier
- Use the Facebook Conversions Zap to connect your website and/or landing pages to Facebook Events
To further close the feedback loop, we suggest connecting your CRM to Facebook Custom Audiences. This will auto-update retargeting, lead, and purchase lists in Facebook used for ad targeting.
Some platfrons have a native integration with Facebook and won’t use Zapier to communicate data between them.
Common Native Integrations:
Common Zapier Integration:
Other platforms will require Zapier again as a translator in order to auto-update Custom Audiences in Facebook based on CRM Lists.
Here are links to the most common CRMs our clients use:
Once all the tracking is set-up, you are ready to start your BADASS ads with the Badass Marketing Moms!
If you need help at any point, please make sure to reach out to your Ads Strategist via Slack!